Monday 26 June 2017

My knee injury and the bone setter






Some friends expressed surprise that I was 'brave enough' to trust a traditional bone setter with my knee. Majority indians incidentally go to the bone setters.
Many pay tributes to traditional knowlege. Talking of traditional knowlege is worth little, unless one is personally willing to engage with it. Till then its empty talk.
The first step in engageing with people is to have faith in them. A real faith. Educated india has lost that, largely. Its faith lies in the West
P.S. My knee is much better. Its the fouth day. The vaidya said 20 days to become as 'good as new'.




The Clinic




Yesterday I slipped, fell, and the knee immediately swelled and started  paining severely. It
could have been a minor fracture or a muscle tear. I applied some ayurvedic medicines and waited. As the pain worsened, I needed to act. The logical move was an X-ray and an orthopaedic to first 'be safe'.

In our village, for fractures people go to Kallur, 10km from our village. There the traditional bone setters apply their medicines and bandage firmly. The most famous place for bone setting is Puttur, also in our district. But Kallur is close to our village, and the family which traditionally practices this is well known. Our village people clearly prefer this process to the plaster of paris casts. They say with the medicines applied here the healing is much faster. Despite modern nurses advising people to avoid traditional systems, people choose to go here, based on experiance.



In Chennai too there a few small shops with the board 'Putter Bone Setter' in the poorer localities.  I decided to go here now,  and started looking for the leads. I also called up Dr. Girija, and she advised me to proceed to a bone setter, in keeping with her faith in local practitioners. She also said that we would now have our own experiance with which to advise patients ! She has earlier sent her sister to one such place, and the fracture healed well.






Vidyasankar Sundaresan The Muslim man with a skull cap sitting inside, the Jesus calendar on the wall and the obviously Hindu everything else... that's the ground reality of India.
I got the number, called up and we set out by auto. It was a tiny thatched space outside the one roomed house the bone setter lived in. It was ramshakle place, but the small table reassured. It had what is traditionally used. There was a tray of eggs, some medicinal leaf powders and some oils, apart from the bandage cloth.
The bonesetter felt my knee and bent it well even as I yelled. He said that it was not a fracture, and that the muscle was torn. He said it would need four rounds of bandaging every 4 days, and in 20 days it would be as good as new.



Breaking the four eggs
The bonesetter asked us to get some crepe bandage from the medical store, and as my husband went there, he started preparing the mixture. His son cracked four eggs into a glass, and mixed in the leaf powders. He then applied this medicine on rough clean cotton cloth. Then he rubbed a medicinal oil over my knee, and again bent the knee the whole way. I yelled again. Then he started winding the cloth on which the medicine was applied firmly over the knee. The crepe bandage was wound around next.




Adding the leaf powder
Applying the paste on the bandage








Folding the bandage


Tying the first bandage


Tying the gauze
Tying the second bandage



Tying the crepe bandage

I was told to come again after four days. And assured that the pain would decrease with each day.

In our village when the Kallur bandage is tied, the patient is advised to drench the bandage with sesame oil to help healing. As the oil is costly people dont have it usually. As we used to have it for cooking, people would come and ask us for it. I called the bone setter to ask him if I could pour sesame oil over it. The bonesetter told me to certianly pour and that it would help. I poured the ayurvedic oil specific for fractures Murivenna. I poured it many times over the crepe bandage.

By morning the pain was substantially lower. The next tying is to be done after four days. Totally four tyings. I had gone to the right place.

The place of the bone setter is what dances befor my eyes. Indicating utter poverty. How unvalued our own systems of medicines are today. And how despite everything they are struggling and surviving. And questions of what to do ...

I asked the son, who has learnt the skill from his father, to come and meet Dr. Girija. Ayurvda and local systems of health are together a vast inheritence which are what will sustain this country. Both are under attrition today.












Auto Driver who drove us to the Puttur bone healers place for my third round of bandageing, "Yes, yes, I know the place. There is also a place in Vadapalani which is better known. Then in Mandaveli also there is an elderly man who does this. I had gone tp him once.

We ordinary people always come here. The fracture heals much faster with the medicines they apply, but when they set the bone the pain can be severe. One needs the shakti to bear the pain. Also the allopathic places are for the rich. They will charge for an operation, and then they will fix rods. It will take a long time to heal. Then they will charge for another operation to remove the rods. Only people with lakhs can go there.

The government hospitals are worse. They will just do an operation and put you on a bed for months. You cannot even go to the bathroom. A attender will have to keep sitting with you beside the bed.
I had a severe tear in my arm muscle some months ago. I could not raise my arm above waist level. I went to Global, and they took 10,000/-. Then I went to Santosh and the doctor told me that for another 2 years I could not ply the auto. I thought that was the end of my life. Then another friend took me to this local bone setter place in Mandavali. Just three sessions of bandageing over a month. The third session the doctor told me to bring my auto and that I would have to start driving it. The autos only had a lever to start the vehicle, but the vaidyar sat with me in the auto and made me drive around till I could.

The vaidyar saved my livlihood and so my life."

The bone setting tradition is alive as it is the choice for the majority of people. As it is alive, it delivers well, and many richer people also go there. The traditional systems need to be preserved for the greater common good.

(After 4 days)


Some friends expressed surprise that I was 'brave enough' to trust a traditional bone setter with my knee. Majority indians incidentally go to the bone setters.
Many pay tributes to traditional knowlege. Talking of traditional knowlege is worth little, unless one is personally willing to engage with it. Till then its empty talk.
The first step in engageing with people is to have faith in them. A real faith. Educated india has lost that, largely. Its faith lies in the West
#Stakes
P.S. My knee is much better. Its the fouth day. The vaidya said 20 days to become as 'good as new'.

(After 15 days)

Today, on my 4th visit to Erza the bone setter, he took a look, bent my leg firmly, made me walk and said that another bandageing would not be needed. The ligament tear or cartilage tear or small fracture, whatever it was was well recovered, he said.
He said the residual pain would go with the oil he gave me, and asked me to use it for a week. He told me to walk but not overwalk ! When I asked if I could cycle, he suggested I be a little patient !!
In 15 says since that fateful slip, things are almost normal. As the village people have always told me, the medicines the healer apply speeds up the healing. I think it woudl have taken longer if I had just had a plaster cast.

 





(After 25 days)

I went to meet Erza today. My walking was normal and painless, but at some odd positions there was some twinge.
He had a look and tied the crepe bandage again firmly. He told me that the crepe bandage should not have been removed except while bathing. I had told him that I was only tieing during long walks, and otherwise left the kne free. I then asked him if I needed agother cast, and he said no. I asked him if I needed to pay and he said no.
I am reporting this because a common misconception among the rich is that the poor may overcharge, or treat unnecessarily sometimes. In my experiance I have encountered only integrity in the poor. The rich hospitals have a greater track of doing unnecessary interventions.

(A month later) 



Had a fall today, and as the leg swelled up, there was the usual doubt if it was a fracture.

In long ago years years, I would have gone to an ortho, and taken an X ray. Now I went to the bone setter.

He took a took, took a tug, dismissed that it could be a fracture, and gave an oil to apply liberally.


Then as we got to chatting, he said how his son though well versed in this, wanted to try for 'police'. And his wife bewailed how the skill would die with them.
I gave them Dr. Girijas number. We need to keep the next generation with us. These traditional healing processes, infinite valuable, are also infinitely threatened.

(2 months later)

Another slip, a swelling wrist, an auto to the Puttur bone setter in his tin roofed cement hut.
A skillful tug, oiling, a paste applied on the bandage, and a neat bandaging with a splint.

While I was there another lady from a nearby house with a knee problem came for a rebandaging, and then an auto driver.

The poor go to the traditional practitioners, with their depth of skills. We educated take a long time to understand that our own practices are far more effective than the western knowleges we have been trained in.
It took me many years, and a village, and a wise doctor who trusted local wisdom completely, for me to recover my faith.






 


( ... 4 days later)



Today when I went to the tiny shed where the Puttur kattu (traditional bone setting) goes on, with my cracked wrist, the place was full of people. I waited standing on the road, marveling at how space is used. Just outside their one roomed home cum clinic there was a moringa tree which gives greens for meals at all times. At it base were some creeper flowering shrubs to add colour. On the other side another small shed of a home had 3 pots. One with a papaya, and two with jasmine creepers.
After 15 minutes of surveying the vehicles on the main road I peered in over the shoulders of two burkha clad women to asses how long I would need to wait in the midday sun. There was a tiny child with puckered up face on her mothers lap, and the bone setter was gently wrapping the bandage up her arm as she cried. But the bandaging must have comforted her, as she quietened down to a whimper. The family of three women, a man and a child came out after paying. The father was an auto driver.
I stepped in then, but there was another young lady there on the bench, who removed her burkha, and stretched out her bandaged foot.
As the bone setter worked on applying a fresh bandage on her foot, we were chatting. With the easy camaraderie found in simple people. She had slipped at home and fractured her ankle bone, she told me. She went straight to Chettinadu hospital where they applied a mavu kattu (plaster of paris cast). For a month she sat immobilized with her feet up. Her daughter did all the house work. Meantime the tightness of the cast led to severe nerve pulls on the other arm. After a month when she went again, the hospital did another x-ray and advised a recast for another month as the bones had not set at all. She said they came away, refusing that. Then her husband told her that he had heard of this place where they do the Puttur kattu and they came here. She said that with the first bandage, the leg improved so much that she was able to walk around at home. She was told that she will need 4 bindings she said. Meantime the bandageing had been neatly done with a splint. She then told him about the pulling pain on the other arm. He asked her if she wanted a lehyam. She asked him how much it was. He said 200/-, and said there is also an oil that will help. She asked for 100/- of lehyam.
She left advising me to put another kattu on my hand if advised, and that hands and legs we always tend to overwork. She told me her name was Fatima as we parted.



Jataayu B'luru The traditional bone setter has a Jesus photo, that too prominently displayed in his place. Is he a convert to Christianity? How unfortunate, and how diabolical. He trusts the traditional medical knowledge handed down by the ancestors, but has renounced the great Dharma of this land and his ancestor that is at the root of all this knowledge and has adopted an alien agressionist and evil religion. It is hard to believe that someone who truly believes in his tradition can do such a thing 

Reply
1
16 hrsEdited
Vidyasankar Sundaresan Happens. Just like how so many Nadaswaram artistes playing in temple utsvams for generations on end are Muslims.

Reply
4
16 hrsEdited
Jataayu B'luru That has a different history Vidyasankar Sundaresan. Actually they are just 'name sake' Mulsims and follow Hindu traditions within their families, as many such Musicians like Ustad Bismillah Khan have stated. Some even give Hindu names to their children. Most of them worship in temples too. They dont play Nadaswaram in mosques but only in temples. Such artists are loathed and hated by the hardcore Islamists, FYI. But in this case, the man puts Jesus picture, while practicing traditional Hindu medicine. What you are citing is the opposite of what I observe here.

Reply
1
16 hrsEdited
Vidyasankar Sundaresan It's complex, yes, but give the young Christian bonesetter time too. In a few generations, if they have enough economic incentive to keep up their traditional craft, they'll also be 'name sake' Christians only. May not even need formal ghar wapsi. It all depends on how society generally treats them and their medical skills.

Reply
4
16 hrsEdited
Jataayu B'luru Agree. I can't see a reason why men like him had to display the evil Jesus in their place. I don't think the local population had apathy towards them. they are patronized and respected also and are famous as "puththoor kattu". Even my father has visited them once about 17-18 years back. Perhaps Christian evangelists worked overtime in these villages to brainwash these guys, exploiting their innocence, vulnerability and generosity. Lets hope they don't go too for in Abrahamic ways and start hating the very tradition.

Reply
1
16 hrsEdited
Manick Rajendran Woah! Is this hatred for real? And someone really has to provide an explanation to assuage the hatred by asking him to give time until after a few generations? 

This is an absolutely a new one on me 

Like
Reply
1

Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Vidyasankar Sundaresan, I also wondered why the gentleman's feelings needed to be assuaged ! And why Erza, yes thats his name, should not be a church going Christian and should wait a few generations to prove his inner Hinduness ! A devout Mulim, Christian, an atheist, or a Hindu, all are welcome to the legacy of Charaka.
Vidyasankar Sundaresan
Vidyasankar Sundaresan I was just making a sociological observation (nadaswaram players) and a prediction. At the end of the day, the legend of Charaka matters far less than the body of knowledge transmitted within families and communities. The ongoing breakdown of communities is aided and abetted by various social change factors, of which conversion is one. JataayuB'luru's feelings are not about a specific individual but about our eroding ecosystem.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan oh ok. it sounded rather like sympathising with his hurt feelings actually !
Vidyasankar Sundaresan
Vidyasankar Sundaresan I always try to lend an ear to all kinds of views, without judgement, at least till well into a conversation.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan yes, the cauldron is boiling, and it needs a certian detachment to make sense of what is happenning in these times. there are no simple limear processes to draw from.
Jataayu B'luru
Jataayu B'luru Well, Hindus have never shied away from imparting their traditional knowledge and arts to any earnest seeker, in spite them being non Hindus. But then, there are issues like appropriation (ie. intentionally separating a traditional knowledge from its roots) and alienation. All this is staged by the aggressive and expansionist Christian institutions and stinking evangelist groups with huge money power, working with the sole aim of destroying Hindu Dharma. The likes of Aparna Krishnan simply don't want to look at this big issue and instead get into a preachy mode, advising and admonishing even those few fellow Hindus who raise to speak up on such issues. Let her learn a key lesson from history - that all the Hindu culture, tradition and wisdom that she cherishes today was protected and preserved not by fickle minded 'all is well' types, but by alert and vigilant Hindu sages and warriors, and great powers like Vijayanagar empire. I can sympathize with the innocent village man who unknowingly got into the trap of Christianity. But, a well read and socially aware person like her is brushing it aside, and even start viewing it as a 'virtue' - that is out of a colonized and confused mindset and political correctness.
Manick Rajendran
Manick Rajendran Thank you Vidyashankar for being non-judgemental about every contributor to this thread.

Jataayu came with guns blazing without placing any context to his statements. Quite jarring actually and to my untrained eye seems like a lot of prejudice, including calling on history with an interpretation that seems to be the basis of his current angst.

While there is much history here in India, fact is, it is what it is now. We have to coexist and cannot wish anyone away. Everyone has a right to their belief systems as long as it contributes to the harmony of the society they are part of. Ezra obviously is one of those folks who is at peace with his values and belief systems and contributing positively to his society.

On the other hand, there are too many people out there who are divisive and promoting sheer hatred of a fellow human being. While it is ok to lend them a listening ear, at some point such hate sentiment needs to be pointed out for what it is.

Jataayu B'luru, clearly Aparna Krishnan is leading a life of meaningfulness against all odds. She is most definitely not taking the easy way out to condemn others' values and sit twiddling her thumbs. She is actively involved in the peaceful society she wants to help foster. I would earnestly ask you to consider being less offensive & combative and then expand your understanding of people beyond any narrow confines of hatred.
Manick Rajendran
Manick Rajendran Talking of "name sake" faith artists alluded to in this thread, it is made out as though they are hypocrites. I suspect that they are so immersed in their art that they have transcended religion.

They are NOT dual-faced. I suspect the same of Ezra. He is devoted to his trade and the patient before him does not have any identity of faith, only as a patient. That he believes in a specific God is purely incidental.

No one has a right to condemn him.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan The gentleman has not understood the reality of india. He is lost in some theory of sages. The nadar community which is what these healers belong to is one is the most rooted. The Nadar christians and Nadar hindus traditionally intermarry, and it is the Nadar identity that comes first for them.
Manick Rajendran
Manick Rajendran Colonial, confused mindset, political correctness, scared, inferiority complex, slave mentality .. whew! What a whole bunch of labels hatred seems to have in their arsenal to lob at anyone who dares to express a different opinion!
Vidyasankar Sundaresan
Vidyasankar Sundaresan Manick Rajendran, indeed, the Nadaswaram and Shehnai artistes are not hypocrites at all. Rather, it is most of us today, who haven't figured out how to handle our historical contradictions and haven't learned what made things work in their original village/town temple contexts.
Vidyasankar Sundaresan
Vidyasankar Sundaresan In fairness to Jatayu B'luru, I don't think it is hatred of Muslims and Christians as individuals. It is an expression of angst over historical and contemporary political processes. We cannot stem the ongoing polarization by pretending it doesn't exist or by blaming only one side for it (which is what the liberals of our country do).
Manick Rajendran
Manick Rajendran Vidya, while the root of Jataayu's angst might be the historical context, it has clearly degenerated into an attack on personalities.

I'll be happy if he will respond to this post and say yes, I'm angry at the political process and not the individuals. Then, we have common ground from where we could hv a meaningful dialog.
Manick Rajendran
Manick Rajendran By the way, a liberal outlook very rarely boils down to an attack on individuals. Very rarely do they commit an argumentum ad hominem unlike the other end of the spectrum. So, less of the blame goes to liberals.

LikeShow More Reactions
 
Manick Rajendran
Manick Rajendran Vidya, you had expressed that the population does not seem to know how to handle historical contradictions. From what I see of history from the 14th century for well over 10 generations and upto when the Vijayanagara brothers rescued regions south of the Tungabadra from the invaders, communities had lost their identities. That loss continued well through to independence. It was a pluralistic society that fought for independence.

Therefore I'm not sure if we are confronted with historical contradictions. At least in the populations I hv visited over the last six years. Aparna Krishnan pointed out to the fact of the nadar community being both Hindu and Christians AND inter-marry.

People seem quite sure of their caste and faith.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Local people are rooted. The educated have lost their own roots and also a sense of roots of the coumminity itself. As they stalk the decision making corridors we are paying in blood for this alienation.
Vidyasankar Sundaresan
Vidyasankar Sundaresan Manick Rajendran, I wouldn't agree that our indigenous communities had already lost their identities between the 14th centuries and now. I would say that identities have been fluid, but that militates against the received wisdom of the caste system being a rigid structure that held everyone in thrall. And I would also question whether it was a truly pluralistic society that fought for independence. It also gave us partition in its wake and we can't pin all the blame on the outgoing British administration for that. We don't see the divide much in the south,, or rather we didn't use to see it till recently, but the divide was always keenly felt throughout north India. Today's angst over identity, secularism, majoritarianism, religion etc are all in many ways the unfinished business of partition.

Manick Rajendran
Manick Rajendran Vidyasankar Sundaresan with regards to partition, did it affect South India as much as it did the North? I hv not asked anyone probing questions, but looking back on my own growing up in Chennai, I had not noticed any affect.

I don't think I saw any
of the Hindus in our village root for the ouster of Muslims (who by the way, did occupy separate streets in our village). I still remember calling them chiththappa or maamaa or chiththi or athai.

Nor did I see any of my Muslim friends looking longingly at Pakistan wanting to migrate there or even visiting. The phenomenon we see now of a growing intolerance in the South is purely artificial and instigated by in my opinion "anti-nationals".

By the way, starting with the Sepoy Mutiny in 1857, within a period of a half century, the Indian Muslim League was born in 1906.

Regarding losing out on identities, it has been well documented that when Arangan returned to Srirangam after two generations, the locals had forgotten how to welcome him. They did not even know how to do the aarathi.

History is replete with instances on the modus operandi of invaders - kill the local culture and all that they believe in and practice. We've had more than our fair share of gory invaders.
Aparna Krishnan He is devout Christian. He practices ayurveda. Suits me and the Muslim man inside also, thanks.

Reply
5
16 hrs
Jataayu B'luru He looks young, not sure he converted out of his will or his parents were also Christian. If it is the first case, he is hypocritical and ungrateful to the very tradition of Ayurveda. I would call such a fellow a fraud. Either he allowed himself to be cheated by Christianity out of ignorance and foolishness , or converted simply for material and selfish reasons. In both the cases, he comes across as confused and crooked. I wonder what "cure" he can provide.

Reply16 hrsEdited
Aparna Krishnan I pity you for the venom you spew. I pity my country that the diversity is stressed thus by you and your clan on one side, and a section thst dismisses essential religiousness on the other side.

Reply
 
Samrat Roy Chowdhuri What did this treatment consist of?

Reply16 hrs
Aparna Krishnan http://paalaguttapalle.blogspot.in/.../puttur-bone-setter...

Yesterday I slipped, fell, and the knee immediately swelled and started paining severely. It could…
PAALAGUTTAPALLE.BLOGSPOT.COM

ReplyRemove Preview16 hrs
Samrat Roy Chowdhuri Wow. You had me here.
"The bonesetter felt my knee and bent it well even as I yelled. He said that it was not a fracture, and that the muscle was torn. He said it would need four rounds of bandaging every 4 days, and in 20 days it would be as good as new."

Reply16 hrs
Samrat Roy Chowdhuri We have a Ministry of Ayush. Do you think it is doing enough?

Reply16 hrs
Aparna Krishnan a big no.

Reply
1
16 hrs
Samrat Roy Chowdhuri You say Ayurveda is undervalued but do you know many internet searches around the world including India start with "home remedies..."
I think the adoption will increase

Reply
1
16 hrs
Adharshila Learning Centre Ayurveda has nothing to do with home remedies.

Reply9 hrs
Aparna Krishnan says who ??

Reply9 hrs
Aparna Krishnan they come from the same essential theory, and the latter is a subset of the former.

Reply 
Ashok Urs MS ortho Three crores is the donation fee

Reply
2
16 hrs
Sunny Malti Suresh Some ppl here are so conservative...It's abt knee and the skills of that guy who treated it .... Yes, it's a traditional cultural heritage all of us should be proud of ... Bt bringing in religion, discrimination, judgement, labeling, anger, hatred???? for what??????

Reply
3
8 hrsEdited
Kannan Thandapani Aparna - I remember sending you a message last year about seeing an Ayurveda clinic run by a Muslim doctor in a predominantly Muslim area in Coimbatore. You didn't seem to be quite impressed, rightly, saying Ayurveda has no religious colour. 

Now havi
ng seen this thread, I feel it has much more significance than what I then thought it had. 

Ayurveda, Yoga and such traditions have to fear their proponents more than opponents.

Reply
2
7 hrs
Aparna Krishnan yes. the virulence there is here was an eye opener.

Reply7 hrs
Aparna Krishnan i dont know if its a one off opinion, or had a large subscription base.

Reply7 hrs
Kannan Thandapani Large enough to give them a huge mandate?

Reply
1
7 hrs
Aparna Krishnan yes, a tragedy. and yet when i see the simple co-existance i wonder what the mandate was for.

Reply7 hrs
Aparna Krishnan Just think on this. (via Vidyasankar Sundaresan
Vidyasankar Sundaresan The more the critics of Hindutva equate it first with Hinduism and then with Brahminism, the more they end up being quite self-defeating. Such conflation may help make a political c
ase, but the internal contradictions in that stance unravel rather easily. And, it only preaches to the converted. Its effect is to end up pushing more Indians into the hands of the Hindutva vadis. For sheer lack of any other viable choice.

Reply
1
7 hrs
Geo Mathew Some of the words used by this elderly man included "alien agressionist and evil religion" / "the evil Jesus" & so on ... 

I would have loved if he would take time to read the below - 


How thoughtful of God to arrange matters so that, wherever you happen to be born, the local religion always turns out to be the true one.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

I deeply regret most of you. – God 

Now that he went ahead & used words such as - 'hypocritical, ungrateful, confused & crooked' for that bone setter, I am sure he has even meaner words for me  I only wish he would have acted at a maturity level that at-least reciprocated to his age !

(Yes I was born a Christian but made a personal choice to be an Atheist)

Reply
2
3 hrs
Suresh Sureshkumar This is something I read recently and liked. Sharing it here because of the hatred I see here for 'other' religions.

God's Birthday.

Awakening of a great saint - 'Baba Farid ji'
Hazrat Khwaja Fariduddin Masud Ganjshakar
(1173 - 1266)

One night Baba Farid ji dreamt that by the grace of God, he had reached paradise. The whole of Paradise was beautifully decorated, millions of lights and flowers everywhere.
Obviously, a great celebration was going on, and beautiful music filled the air.
He inquired of a passerby "What is going on?"
The stranger said, "You are blessed for you have come at the right time. We are celebrating God's birthday."
A puzzled Farid ji stood beneath a tree to see what was happening.

Soon a great procession starts moving on the road, led by a man sitting on a horse. Farid ji enquired, "Who is this man?" And they say, "Don't you know him? He is Hazrat Mohammed"
Millions upon millions of people walked behind the Prophet. Farid ji asked, "Who are these people?" and he is replied, "They are Mohammedans, followers of Mohammed."
Then came Jesus, and millions of Christians were following him.
Soon Lord Krishna appeared in a splendid golden chariot, and millions upon millions were following him too.
Then there was Gautam Buddha and countless people followed him too.
On and on went the procession and baba Farid ji grew weary of the magnitude of the procession and the followers.
Finally, in the end, Baba ji noticed, trailing the great procession, an old man walking alone, and no one walked behind him. Farid ji began to laugh looking at this man. It was a ridiculous sight compared to the magnificent processions that preceded the old man and nobody followed him.
Baba ji could not contain himself and he asked the old man "Who are you, sir? I have seen Mohammad, Christ, Krishna, Mahavira, Buddha -- who are you? Is this some sort of joke, for nobody follows you!"
The old man with sadness in his eyes said, " I am God, and it is my birthday. People have become Mohammedans, some Christians, others Jews, many have become Hindus or Buddhists, unfortunately no one is left to follow me me so I walk alone
Farid ji woke up with a shock.
He told his disciples the next day, "I had a revelation and I met God. From now on I am no more a Mohammedan nor do I belong to any other organised religion. I will follow the One and only true Master and Creator of the universe. I shall simply be me, myself. I would like to be with God, at least one person following him."
This awakening transformed Baba Farid ji and he was able to enlighten the world with his message of love and universal brotherhood.
Spiritual people belong to no religion, yet the universe belongs to them.
Rama Subramanian
Rama Subramanian Thanks for posting this Aparna Krishnan he identified and treated my ankle fracture 4 years ago. I trust him any day more than the ortho who saw the same 'photo'as he called it, and didn't even identify where the fracture was.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan What do you feel about the thread here Ram ??
Rama Subramanian
Rama Subramanian Silly actually. I know of this vaidyas native place and having researched on the nadar institutions a bit, i can share more local knowledge of history and insights, but, i hesitate these days, because there is a certain language of prejudice today that is not considered or serious...when I sense such arguments, i am dis inclined to engage. Some people online have become like TRP rating seeking television channels, they wallow in their own daily negative controversies, bring to play mishmash of generalised and globalized perceptions to play with scant respect for local issues or challenges. For me understanding of india begins at the local, at every local, every village, no two are alike and you can't generalise your social theories even with a few thousand case studies leave alone a few scriptures. Jesus and all other gods of any religion are all Gods in my understanding of dharma as understood and practiced by my indian villagers. I consider them ignorant who talk of this wisdom of the village as though it is some kind of 'poor' ignorance on their part. We survived through a dharma of harmony, harmony is our dharma, ethos, of this land. Hence this ethos is universal, all else is local or personal anger or hatred refusing to grow in understanding, wanting to settle local scores with global generalising. Maybe in a few more births, if they continue to be born in this holy land, such people may gain respect and understanding of dharma.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan You had told me about the nadar institutions sometime back. Write in detail. It is these details that will counter these efforts at hegemonizing and globalizing narratives - as is the pet hobby of both Hindutva and JNU.
Rama Subramanian
Rama Subramanian Sure,   


Ashok Urs People don't mind going to physician who has paid few crores of Rupee's to get masters degree get very badly treated, and physician can buy law for himself and get protection from damage.
Ramanjaneyulu GV
Ramanjaneyulu GV It's same fundamentalism which is ruining the strength of agroecological approaches in farming. I see a very reductionist approach from a religious lens which is as bad and probably worse than reductionist approach of science  

Rajesh Azaad
Rajesh Azaad One doesn't have to often refer to west for ideals.
It's just the matter of convenience and transparency. The reason for someone like me coming from rural background too to prefer a medical practitioner with a degree is it comes with authorisation from the states institutions.
There have been many faith healers from various cultures and traditions whose knowledge is unverifiable and are not bound to be transparent in their scientific method. I've come across umpteen fake healers of various religions right from ortho, dental to the arts of black magic.

Some how the cultural knowledge couldn't take forward transparency and any regulatory mechanism along with that.

Rather than this mere anti-west notion, i some how believe the world is ours it's always beneficial for the exchange of knowledge between countries. Like how many countries still rely on knowledge and innovations from India.
Vidyasankar Sundaresan
Vidyasankar Sundaresan  Faith healing is different from traditional methods of medicine. The reason many people have such a tough time telling apart the genuine item from the quack is that there has been a massive breakdown of family and community relationships that used to sustain cultural knowledge.

And if you think about it, what we see as transparency and certification and authorization is nothing more than the end result of how Europeans (and then Americans) have codified, updated and renewed their own traditional methods over the last five to six centuries. That is precisely the same time period over which Asian and African societies were all being brought under colonial rule and getting undermined at our roots.

Time to revisit, rebuild and renew our own systems, rather than decrying them.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Yes, and also a systematic sidelining of Indian systems has weakened them in many many ways. That would happen to any system deprived of every support. The present GST for instance imposes 5% on allopathic drugs, and 12% of ayurvedic drugs ! It is up to us to reclaim our rich health heritage, or to lose it further.

No comments:

Post a Comment