Tuesday 2 January 2018

The footpath shop

An illness and after effects kept me off the cycle for a while. The brake wires had got rusted when I finally pulled the bike out today. and I took the cycle to the old man on the roadside I usually go to.
He asked after my absence, and then pulled out a new possession proudly, an old steel chair, and placed it on the road and asked me to sit while he replaced the brake wires.
His shop, a small shed, which had walls and roof of thatch has now has been upgraded to tin which will make the place an oven is summer. It is placed on the narrow footpath. His workspace is on the road. where he spreads a folded mat and kneels as he works.
That the footpath is blocked completely, and that part of the road is also occipied, is how it should be. The poorest people have first right over all the extra spaces of this country for their livlihoods and survival.
Survival comes a far first compared to the conviniance or inconveniance to motorists.

No comments:

Post a Comment