Monday 4 February 2019

Upavasa

I was telling my daughter that I needed to start some upavasa. To control my infinite taste likings. Seeing that a day will come when I will not have teeth to bite all these delicacies ! I had lately seen some old people losing teeth, and the ability to chew.

Daughter, "In the Sanskrit camp, there was one old lady. She could not bite murukku. So she would pound them to powder, and have it.

Mohanji would tell her that that in old age teeth fall for a reason, and the body is supposed to move to simpler diet. And asked her why she was trying to circumvent that with so much effort !"

The Bhaja Govindam shokam, she reminded me of.
दिनयामिन्यौ सायं प्रातः
शिशिरवसन्तौ पुनरायातः ।
कालः क्रीडति गच्छत्यायु-
स्तदपि न मुञ्चत्याशावायुः ॥ १२॥
Daylight and darkness, dusk and dawn, winter and springtime
come and go. Time plays and years pass by. But the winds of desire never still.


Aarti Ramachandran So well said. Apart from the mind that constantly chatters, the tongue is second in line. It is tough to control it for regulated speech or eating. 

Good ol texts recommend Ekadeshi Vratam as one of the means to control the two primary demons!

No comments:

Post a Comment