Monday 25 March 2019

Learnings from a village, of roots, of self, of gods

There are social workers, 'activists' who have been with the peoples of this land, and who can still deride religion, the simple religiousness of this land.

If you dont get that religiousness, you dont get India.

I was remembering. How almost thirty years ago, I had entered the village. Urban, over educated. With the overload of good intentions, and utter lack of undertanding that that urban tribe has. Added to it, a total ignorance of ones total lack of understanding. A deadly cocktail.

I remembered how in those early years if the village asked me for a contribution to the temple, I would give all knowing responses. That I would contribute to the education of the children, but not to a temple. And how the village gently allowed me to be, till I slowly learnt.

And how down the years, a village again and again humbled me. With its own magnanimity, generosity and simple humility. Taught me to question each of my preconceptions. Allowed me the courage to accept that everything I thought could be wrong.

How over the years I learnt that the temple and the gods were the real centre of the village. And the most meaningful centre. How with that centre of godhood, the greatest generosity and courage became their own. When giving away from their sparse stock to another in need was a reality. An immense possibility rooted in devudu and dharmam. God and religiousness.
 
How every social happenning, every gathering and every outing stays structured around the many gods and goddesses. And how that lends a rootedness to every process. A sweetness.

How a village restored to me my roots, my understandings, my gods. And how today when someone asks for a temple, an annadaanam, I give with the same humility that the rest of the village does.
To recover understanding, one needs to be part of a village, to allow a village to teach now. First understand that one can only learn from the immenseness of a village. Not teach ...

No comments:

Post a Comment