Tuesday 16 April 2019

Those years in a village


Some memories, some stories.
Some growing up. Some humbling down.
When I moved to the village. Twenty years ago. I was a throughbred urban.
Every Friday we would all go to the weekly santa, market. At Kommireddigaripalle. 4 km away. Where all the producers from neighbouring villages would bring their vegetables, fruits, pots to sell.
It look me a few times, more than that, to realize that I was the only character there who would bargain. Not a soul would.
They were all at the brink of survival. They knew the hard work that goes into growing crops. They respect the producer and the product.
A disconnected urban, myself, could not. Then.
There are many many such stories. And none pretty.
A village taught me of my privilege, and the associated pettiness that goes with it. Like nothing else could have.
A village taught me of the greatness of the peoples of this land. The simple people. And my own smallness.
Difficult lessons. But the most important lessons I have learnt. In my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment