Thursday 1 August 2019

My religion, as seen across class.

Many of my friends have wondered at my position on religion and religiousness. And asked.
I have lived in two worlds.
My schooling years were in an urban, English medium school setting. The religion I saw in the upper class urban setting was temple going, seeking mental peace and blessings.
It did not necessarily translate into becoming more compassionate, more sensitive human beings. Those years I questioned religion. I stepped to the periphery of religion. I called myself an agnostic.
Then in my late twenties I moved into the real India. Into villages. And there I understood the real meaning of religion. In my country.
Where Dharmam, righteous behavior, is synonymous with Devudu, godhood.
Where the poorest find the strength for giving away their last glass of rice to someone poorer. As it is Dharmam.
Where the poorest seek to walk on the path of integrity. As there is a Devudu. Who watches all.
Where religion empowers sacrifice and integrity.
That is the religion of my land that I found. Rooted in practice. In daily living.
And I found again my gods whom I had lost. I found myself.
And that is where I stand today. Rooted in that understanding. In that religiousness. With the peoples of this land.


...

One friend who had gone for the darshan at Kanchipuram was commenting, "So many poor people. With so much devotion. They must be coming to god to pray for succour. They lead such difficult lives. If this gives them peace, so be it ..."
How could I explain to her.
The role of god in the lives of people of this land.
Where religion is simply a way of being.
Where temples. The small village temple. And the larger pilgrimage sites. Are part of the very being of oneself. Of the personal and social.
It is not 'poor superstitious helpless people praying for succor'.
It is people, rooted in the ethos of this land. To whom god and goodness, devudu and dharmam are one.
And who pray for succour. For oneself and for all. For the well being of creation.
To whom god is that which gives courage to give away ones last glass of rice to him in greater need. Dharmam.
Dharmam. From the root Dhr. That which sustains.

No comments:

Post a Comment