Thursday 26 September 2019

IISc, my days there, and Gandhi's address

In all my years at IISc, why was this most important address not told to me. Or my batchmates. Or to my department.
This alone could have given direction to each of us in our learnings.
And without this understanding. Of our answerabilities. All learning only feeds greed. Destroying the self, ad much as society.
Gandhi's address to IISc -
" I am not in a mood to say much. All I can say is, that all these huge laboratories and electrical apparatus you see here are due to the labour, unwilling and forced, of millions. For Tata’s thirty lakhs did not come from outside, nor does the Mysore contribution come from anywhere else but this begar-1 world. If we are to meet the villages and to explain to them, how we are utilizing their money on buildings and plants which will never benefit them, but might perhaps benefit their posterity, they will not understand it. They will turn a cold shoulder. But we never take them into our confidence, we take it as a matter of right, and forget, that the rule of ‘no taxation without representation’, applies to them too."

No comments:

Post a Comment