Monday 21 September 2020

A Village cannot be Adopted

 There was a call from an NGO from Mumbai the other day. Saying they had been the following the remarkable work of Paalaguttapalle, and they were ready to adopt the village.

I had to tell them that it was not possible. That we were not up for adoption.
A village is a wise and wonderful place. Ancient in its heritage. Firm in its roots. A village guides, teaches, gives light to a world that's losing it's way into the darkness of neon lights.
If one is fortunate, one can be adopted by a village. Never the other way around.
One can work collectively with a village, yes. Learn from the village, walk alongside. Adopt it, no.
What's in a word, my friend asked later when I reported the exchange to him. Why can't you be pragmatic. And use opportunities.
Everything is in the said word, I said. Words shape thoughts. Thoughts shape action. Action shapes character.
And character decides the course of a country. Of the universe.
  • Well said. One can only support or enable.
    1
    •  
  • Aparna Krishnan
     You have not spoken wiser words than these. NGO's need to "adopt" a village, an essential first step to making pitches for applying for funds and government programs. I shall say no more because you have so said it very clearly. Bravo!
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
    • Murthy Sudhakar
       one bows before a village. And its magnanimity. You know it better than most.
      And after that we may walk together.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Murthy Sudhakar
       I didnt even think or know of the funding game! My objection was more fundamental.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Aparna Krishnan
       I concur with the fundamental. I was only explaining why NGOs "adopt" villages or communities.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Murthy Sudhakar
       Yes, I understand now. I did not even know of that/ think of that.
      Paalaguttapalle, as you know, is backwaters as we are shielded from such details !!
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
  • Glad you resisted.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
  • Maybe "adoption" was not the right word.. But Aparna, there is no harm in the NGO supporting the villagers
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
    • Tanuja Thakur
       We, people and NGOs can walk with them. Getting helped. And helping. As co travelers.
      Words like adopting and even supporting indicate a hierarchy of give and take. That I challenge.
      The giver is the reciever.
      4
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Aparna Krishnan
       the intention may have been good, I suppose.. Didn't know how to put it across.. Maybe.. But yes, the giver is the receiver.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Tanuja Thakur
       words matter. Words have power.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
  • "Adoption" as in this case is surrender of "who" these villagers are. The word indicates not help or support, but dependency in a parent-child relationship which always dictates: "we know what is best for you"
    4
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
    • Edited
    • Murthy Sudhakar
       yes, very offending.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Murthy Sudhakar
       I agree with you. I also think people use words without thinking them through. And we must think. I remember a few decades ago one of my professors pointed out the word - charity - and how offensive this was. I cringe when I hear people use it - particularly those who should know better.
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Priya Jain
       “Too many have dispensed with generosity in order to practice charity.” – Albert Camus
      2
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Murthy Sudhakar
       and I wanted to add, that one thing the prof said made me always think about the words we are use. So 
      Aparna Krishnan
       took a very correct stand.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
  • Absolutely. I have always found the term patronizing at best and offensive at worst
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
  • You are Character personified.Many things to learn from village life When I go to my village in Palakkad Thekkegramam once in a year I experience utter joy to sit under grand banyan tree and enjoy cool breeze.People are simple to Enjoy their company.Early bath in the river and visiting temples give you ultimate joy After retirement in 2012 We spent a month in the village and it was blissfull.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
  • you could say partner...
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
  • Words can be so limiting.
    You could mean partnering and use the word adoption; or mean adoption and still use the word partnering.
    Meanings are more important than words and as a society we have lost more meanings than we can imagine. 😢
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
  • What to do with money arrogance.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
  • Well said
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
  • I agree with your anger.
    However, had you been more empathetic, you could have adopted the NGO.
    You are in the village for the past 25 years. Now, think of 
    Aparna Krishnan
    , who entered the village 25 years back. What was her mindset?
    You need to have (I think so) that extra patience with this kind of people to make them understand what they are talking and what you mean. Maybe, you disown them.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
    • Kongara Gangadhara Rao
       I understand that well. I deal with youngsters with the patience I received from my seniors down the years
      Institutions are nameless faceless. I have tried writing detailed letters. I get a standard response.
      Having said that, one can only share when the seeking is there. It's a 2 way process.
      It has always been that way. In my youth. And also now.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
  • Did they get back to you? A little humbled perhaps? Or they couldn't understand what you were saying?
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
    • I think we were talking in different languages.
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • You can share learnings only with those who are seeking. That is a lesson I have learnt.
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Aparna Krishnan
       This is sad. Because if even one person has the sensitivity to understand perhaps both could benefit. It would mean they will have to deep dive and look at more integrated approaches. It could change the way they work.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Mohua Lahiri
       many are seeking. And we all learn and teach within circle. More will enter wen the time is ripe
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
  • but how can a village adopt a city !
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5w
    • It can adopt the universe. Give it direction. Values. Possibilites.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • i think it's a great idea. every town/city should be adopted by/rooted in a village. for healing, for guidance, for a pause, for restoring a scattered psyche, and in turn it is our debt to take care of the village and its heritage.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
    • Every (village) migrant, part of our poor, tired and huddles masses, adopts a city he or she goes to, to be exploited during his/her enslavement.
      1
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w
      • Edited
    • Murthy Sudhakar
       precisely. We are exposed. We can/will do them no good ever.
      • Like
      • Reply
      • 5w


An old college friend, met after many years asked, " You adopted an village?"
I answered, " No, a village adopted me."
More questions followed. Demanding to know my achievements in the village. More advice, on how i need to take science and technology to people with greater focus. And save them from their many old fashioned belief systems. On how I needed to be result oriented.
I stayed silent.
How can one encapsulate half a lifetime into a brief meeting. The turns life took. The serendipities. The unlearnings. The learnings.
Maybe I should not even have answered the first question ... some replies can only be phrased into silences ...






No comments:

Post a Comment