Friday 12 February 2021

Chennai - The Hospital Canteen

 


The hospital has two canteens. One is, I believe, an expensive one. I have never tried to find out

details of its location.
This is the one I go to. Where roti--dal is 35/-, and an indulgence costs 54/-. A plate of noodles. That I treated myself to today.
These are the places where India lives and breathes. My neighbour having a simple plate of curdrice with lemon pickle. Without being asked, he shifted to a corner to allow space for two people standing and eating. And asked them to sit too.
Maybe I come to these spaces for the simple warmth I see, as much as for reasons of economy.
Simple peoples, simple warmth, simple sharings.
And if to some such spaces seems 'less hygenic', then more reason to make that our space too and demand that the levels of hygiene improve.
Our land. Our country. Our peoples.

No comments:

Post a Comment