Tuesday 6 December 2016

Theism - 2

I am theist. By that for all the atheists I becomes a superstitious illiterate, and beneath their attention. But my theism is such that no self respecting theist will take me into his/her fold.
So its a nice quiet place finally !

Narayana Sarma I find some of your concepts, especially this position against 'science' problematic. I consider myself a scientific person. Its like "I reason, so I am human, so I am scientific" thing for me. So I don't see anyone in the contemporary world who is not scientific. Only I see people applying the four essential principles of science to varying degrees in their lives, sometimes out of ignorance and sometimes out of a wide range of motives. 

 And I am not an atheist. I prefer to take the position of an agnostic usually, but somewhere deep, I guess I am actually a theist. And my understanding of God does not deter me from being a firm believer in science: to me Science and Religion are not antithetical to each other. And I have thousand and one problems with the village 'superstition'. I disapprove black magic, pompous poojas, rituals. More so, if they are undertaken keeping some 'purpose' in mind- even if it be for the noblest of purposes like 'health'. I see people in my village are not all Gyanis- they have their own share of Agyan, like I have mine. And they are prone to make mistakes like my very own self: none of us are infalliable. I disapprove when girls are denied essential medical services in the name of tayettus, mantrams and shares when boys are rushed to hospitals in nearby towns. oh- more later.
Aparna Krishnan I tend to agree with you. I have seen a mindless rejection of village practices and know that my response has swung to the other end . Still you have not answered my concern - 'to reject concepts like mantrams that moden science cannot answe is deeply 'unscientific'. Regarding religion, every perversion therein of course needs to be addressed. Start a new bhakti movement, and I will sign up as follower ! Regarding village agyan, again of course each needs to be fgaced and addressed. Still, a village community structure is far more humane. A city isolates people and hearts.
Jagannath Chatterjee Narayanaji we are all scientific. What we talk against in corporate corruption of science and also the inability to sense the wisdom behind many of our traditional practices - again at the behest of corporatized science education.

No comments:

Post a Comment