Monday 4 December 2017

Ramamurthy's cow


Ramamurthys cow. He will,after a hiatus of 4 years, again begin to earn.




 
Ramamurthy was knocked down by a van. The legs had multiple fractures. The private hospital they went to in hope threw him out when his money ran out. The government hospital chucked him out after a month when he wasnt improving. With a discharge note saying he was well. He was in deep debt, deep pain, and hopelessness, when I first went to see him in Dinapeta, 5km away.

He is Varalu's brother-in-law. Her sister Teja's husband.
My friend Vandana Bhagat, whom I met on FB and whom I still have not met, took on the case as her own based on a post. Arranged the money, the multiple operations costs lakhs, helped me find a good doctor in Tirupathi where Ramamurthys and Tejas family could support them. Over years of racking surgeries, he slowly learned to walk with a walker, and a year later with crutches. Through those years of no earnings, they managed somehow, holding onto hope, with some basic help.


 They are today only grateful. To the fact that the leg is saved - the doctor told them that if they had come months later the leg would have needed an amputation. To the many people who helped them through hopeless times.




I had told Teja and Ramamurthy to not despair, and that maybe one day he could walk enough to graze a cow. And earn again. That day has come. My friend Lakshmi helped them buy a cow. They are now pouring 4litres of milk at the collection centre morning and evening.


 I am grateful that I could see this day. The photo of the cow came today.

July 2018.
The cow continues to sustain the family.


No comments:

Post a Comment