Wednesday 2 January 2019

Lessons. Thithiksha

I went today to meet a friend. Whom I have only known on FB so far. Whom I have followed and learnt vastly from. Of Sanskrit, of vedanta. Of life. Who has patiently given time to many many questions.
About a year ago, his posts ceased. After sometime as I was hoping nothing was wrong, and reaching to others was informed that he had had a massive stroke.
Today when I went to see him as he was in town, my daughter wanted to come too. His Sanskrit, and his Vedanta had made her follow him and his teachings through me.
In the prime of youth, with a small child, fate had dealth a huge blow. And recovery will take time. His work as a scientist is cut short.
I went with some apprehensions. On how to face a person who has undergone so much. Meeting for the first time.
But the first thing that we saw was cheerfulness. On the face not a line of worry or distress, Though the voice was also affected, the few words that came were words of calm. And of cheerfulness.
His wife, his daughter and he, radiated calmness, and even cheer. And robust good sense. The wife has carried unimaginable burdens, and she stays completely untouched by that.
Daughter, as we reentered home, "Amma, it was like a normal visit to a happy family."
Yes, the remarkableness of that fact can be missed in its simplicity.
Today I understood the meaning of 'tithiksha' , a central virtue as in the Gita. Which also he had explained to me once. When i had asked.
It is not 'endurance' as wrongly translated sometimes. It is cheerful acceptance of all that fate brings to us. That strength of the spirit.
He will stay in my prayers. And today again I had another invaluable lesson leart through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment