Friday 21 June 2019

Village generosity

There is the well known story. Of how a man comes upon a sanyasi with a purse of money someone had given him. He demands it, and the sanyasi gives it to him with a smile and a blessing, and moves on empty handed.
And two days later the man comes searching for him, seeking him, and places all the money before him, "I dont want this. Give me that wealth which allowed you to give this away so freely."
I have recollected that story so many time last two decades. That is the samewealth I have seeked from my friends and neighbours in the village.
That courage that allows them to share their last glass of rice, without worrying about their own meal tomorrow. Even in drought.
The root of that courage. That faith. That strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment