Saturday 27 July 2019

To understand hunger

 A young girl, in a colourful wraparound, with chunky jewellery. Sitting on the roadside. Munching a large burger.
Two waifs, one maybe seven, another maybe four. Standing near her. Staring at her. The young girl in the wraparound, pointing to the burger, waved her hand at the children. Indicating that she would not give them anything. Indicating that they should go away.
The two small girls did not go.They were hungry.
My daughter tugged at me. I stopped, thinking I would get the children some food at the stall. But then quickened my footsteps."What use is a one time giving to anyone." Easier to walk away from painful situations. Which speak to ourselves about ourselves.
My daughter said, "They are hungry. Buy."
We ordered two burgers, and the kids smiled. We talked while the burgers were made. Nice kids. Like our village kids.
The two girls took the burgers are ran down. To an old woman who was selling plastic trinkets on a sheet spread on the footpath. There was a tinier child there. Another sister maybe. The three sisters and the old woman, their grandmother, shared the food. They may have got a mouthful each.
It was a very difficult fact, the reality. As usual, I moved on quickly. With lowered head. Ad I have done through life.
Again. A mirror. The young girl waving away the children. I could easily see myself in her place. It is a class thing.
Beggers make us uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. For that moment, the utter unfairness of our privilege in the reality of their poverty slaps us. We shut our eyes. Wish they would disappear. And leave our sleeping conscience alone.
We have also worked out elaborate theories. To defend ourselves. From truth. We have a theory why begging is bad and we that we should not encourage beggers.
We are fakes. Hypocrites. Me and my class.
My village people. Poorest in the land. Landless assetless labourers. Give to each person who comes to their door. With humility. With dignity.
Even in times if drought.
There is no word begger in village vocabulary. There us only the word hunger. And Daanam. And Dharmam.

No comments:

Post a Comment