Tuesday 29 October 2019

Diwali Decorations, and right to livlihoods, and Chennai footpath shops

Diwali decorations.

Yesterday my daughter got her hands decorated on the side of the footpath of the busy road. A young man sits there on a stool, and has two stools kept for his customers. He has the cones, and creates music and art with his deft hands.
It was 150/- per hand, Diwali rates. And 300/- for two.
My daughter wanted it all the way to her elbow. That was 700/-, and I said this would do. That 300/- was enough.
That was my mistake. That is the mistake we do. Often.
After we got up and paid, the boy took the ringing phone. His mother probably. He spoke in a Bihari Hindi twang, "Yes yes, I will take the last train tonight to gaon. I will be there in time. With money for sweets and clothes. Wait for me !"
I swallowed. I should have got as much mehendi work done as possible. Paid as much as possible.
It's good to be simple . To not spend too much on oneself.
But its most important to spend where another in need can earn, and earn well .
That is our most important answerability. Over all else.
In today's times of eroding livlihoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment