Monday 27 January 2020

Education rooted in perspective, values


Children in high school speak of a passion for computer science. Or mathematics. Or astronomy.
And of wishing to relocate abroad for more challenging academics.
I did not understand that language when, long years ago, I was an engineering student and all my classmates were applying abroad.
I did not understand the logic then, and I do not understand it now. I think there is no logic there.
One can enjoy maths, or physics. Sure. But what defines our life direction is something else.
Our larger vision. Our purpose. Our answerabilities.
Our debt to our family. To our country, a poor country, that gave us vast privilege. Which runam, debts, we need to repay.
To seek to understand our role in the finite, all too short, lifespan we are allotted on earth. To use it to best purpose. For all our collective well being.
This perspective, and only this, is what defines our choices.
And this understanding is what we owe our children.
  • Anil Srinivasan Why is it that you expect everyone to think the way you do ?

    I mean no disrespect. And I admire your commitment to the real India.


    But different strokes are unfortunately drawn by differrnt folks. Having a normative view of what people should be like and what people should want is a tad unfair and will always be dissappointing in the end.

    I know.FB is meant to be an echo chamber where we keep saying how wonderful we all are no matter what the opinion is and agreement is the only way to remain friends.

    But yet. I humbly disagree
    1
  • Aparna Krishnan My point is different.

    The focus these days is on a skill. And allowing that to define life.


    The real focus that counts is a larger perspective of responsibilities. Which needs to define ones path. Yes, other interests can dovetail into that.

    That is Dharmam. And that is the living understanding of the majority of this land. And of this land.
  • Aparna Krishnan Please feel free to disagree. My learnings, I table. They could be wrong, in which case I will correct them down the line. I do not expect that we all think alike. And yet we learn from each other, if there be that openness.
    1
    • Anil Srinivasan Aparna Krishnan you are probably aware that I do a lot for the community. And so I am a believer in what you are saying.

      All I imply is that I do what I can. But I don't expect or judge everyone to follow my precepts. Makes for more peaceful co existencs.
      2
    • Aparna Krishnan Anil Srinivasan I am very aware of your work with underprivileged children. This post is not about you or me.

      It is a statement. That the modern day practice if allowing a skill to define our life choices is incomplete. It needs to fit into a larger 
      context of owning up responsibilities. And fitting in our interests in that. As you yourself have done.

      Rinam is an objective truth. Called Rinam. It is not subjective. After that, yes, we can follow or not follow, that is free will.
    • Anil Srinivasan Aparna Krishnan aramm. Equally powerful. But I just don't want to be normative.
    • Aparna Krishnan Anil Srinivasan Dharmam, Aramm is normative. Ethics is normative.



I see youngsters discussing college. Proud of getting into exclusive colleges. Without a larger search. A larger sense of responsibility. Many times.
I remember. When I was in 12th, and preparing for competitive exams. There was a background note. Of awareness of the poverty in this land. Of our privilege. Of our immense answerability. And of a nagging question if my college choices would enable me in that responsibility.
It took any paths and many reverses, many turnings. Many heartaches. Before I found my village. A purpose.
But do children these days dwell on this most critical question. Of societal responsibility. Answerability.
Have their parents guided them into those thoughts.
Without which thought and search, every other thought loses direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment