Saturday 21 March 2020

Religion and The State - Narayana Sarma

 
Aparna Krishnan
12 March 2016 at 21:48 ·
(from a thread on Narayana Sarma's wall)
Anandaswarup Gadde I am not an Indian now and do not consider myself a Hindu though I grew up in a Hindu family. There were things like caste system I did not like or the fact that for two weeks I lived a Brahmin house but could not enter the rooms and had to eat in the verandah. I was not sure that there was really a uniform version of Hinduism.Similarly there are things in other religions like being allowed to marry more than one wife that I do not like. What ever the religions are, they should agree on some basic issues. So also with the state. The constitution can be amended when some needs for change are seen and felt. If the religions tolerate basic rights, I agree state should not interfere with them.
Narayana Sarma "If the religions tolerate basic rights, I agree State should not interfere with them." hmm... yeah, outwardly it sounds simple enough, but I guess that is where the east and west differ.
1) Do I trust the State so much? And Why do I distrust religion so much? The moment one said Hinduism one is reminded of Caste. In the same vein, the moment one said America, one needs to be reminded of Slavery or annihilation of Original tribes; or British-colonialism- but that does not seem to be happening. Modern structures like the State are easily condoned of their sins, while religion is never pardoned. We need to see if that is in order.
2) Hinduism could also remind one of the very emancipatory upanishadic ideas of self. Christianity could remind one of the message of love of Jesus. But no- we do not see ever a uniform version of religion- the message of religion is somehow very confusing: we'd rather see the more material impacts of religion on society. However we never see Modern State in such a light- are we ok with the material impacts of the all powerful Nation State on society?
3) The predicament of many a social activist is understandable: they denounced religion for its sins- And they could not come to terms with the much larger and more dangerous and inhuman sins of the centralised, modern State. And where do they stand, in the absence of anything as powerful?
well this is just loud thinking. I stop here.
Anandaswarup Gadde I despair of state too. It had its periods of success, perhaps after Second World War in some countries. I do not see religion as particularly evil. Possibly at different places adopted differently to survive and aspects of religion like awe of nature,...See More
Narayana Sarma Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Narayana Sarma total agreement with your points. The main point for me is that normal people are basically religious, drawing on the good and questioning the ills. And unless the progressives learn to respect that and tune in, they are going to be living in a gated community of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment