Saturday 2 December 2017

The Footpath Sellers

#OneCountryTwoWorlds

Simple lives

Below the line of vision of a country's elite who zoom by in cars with windows rolled up.

Leading an honest life on the edge. An old man selling copper rings costing 10/- each and other trinkets. His shop space is a square rice sack on the footpath.

A younger man selling keychains, engraving the name on them gratis. His shop space another square rice sack on the footpath. An engraved keychain costing 40/-

I bought from both, some items I do not need. As I was counting out some change to make up the keychain total to 120/-, the young man graciously waved away the last 10/-, and would not let me pay that.

I accepted his graciousness with humility, as I have learnt to. Learning some lessons each day. From people who matter in this land.

A bit of me dies in each such interaction, daily, facing my privilege vis a vis the lives of the people of this land.
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment