Friday 2 May 2014

The urban poor ... their richness and their loss of livlihoods ...


An old man used to repair my cycle punctures. He operated out of a thatched shed. He reminded me of my village people - dignified, honest and honourable. He would say, 'Kadavul irrukiraar', ('God is there') - the same phrase as my village people 'Devudu unnadu'.

Today as I cycled past I saw that this shop had been torn down, the thatching thrown aside. Maybe it was 'illegally' on the footpath. W
hat happened to him ? Where will he be able to set up shop again ? Would he have set up another thatched shed somewhere else ? Started building up a cliente ? In a new place where people would be used to going to some other similar cycle shop ?

The first and non negotiable duty of a country, of a government, of us citizens - is to ensure a decent livlihood to all. Everything else comes only after that. Everything else.

 

 



When I pass the old lady selling jasmine wreaths I have to buy from her  because she has become an old friend. And she sits looking at each passerby in hope. Then it dawned on me that what i am doing is not a friendly gesture - but a requirement.

Anyone poor working on earning an honest living needs others who can afford to to buy their products. A cobbler, a vegetable vendor, a hanky seller, an old lady selling jasmine wreaths, ...

And so though i has stopped wearing flowers, I restarted ...


Anybody looking for and following an honest livlihood - here the old lady buying and stringing and seling flowers - deserves the support of the community.

And when we do not buy from these small vendors we are doing a wrong. To extend, not wearing handlooms and supporting weavers, and instead wearing mill cloth is a wrong. Not buying from small vendors and buying from supermarkets is another wrong. To be aware is most important, and then we push as far as will and commitment permit ...

No comments:

Post a Comment