Sunday 8 June 2014

Dharmam disarms

Nagarajakka - I had mentioned to her that I was looking to buy groundnuts, but as the year was over people had exhaused what they had from the last harvest.

She came home in the evening with a sack quarter full, and gave it to me as a gift. She said she had this left from her last year's stock. I asked her if she had any left, and said said she didn't but they had eaten through the year, and that I should keep these for ourselves, and have it.

To not accept the gift would have been churlish, so I took it in all humility. But it left me helpless in a way nothing else could have.

Such a gesture of genuine giving - of the last of the stock at home - sweeps the heart and the mind and imagination into another space ... and maybe it is in this space that all revolutions will be born.

And I see this again and again and again in this community of the landless and assetless.




No comments:

Post a Comment