Saturday 29 October 2016

Respect Hindu Festivals

Shefali Vaidya
 
I am a proud Hindu. I respect my traditions and I enjoy celebrating my festivals.
I am about sick and tired of sanctimonious fiberals trying to festival shame the Hindus.
If there is any course correction to be done, WE should be the ones doing it, the people for whom the festivals actually signify something, not the champagne swigging secular set, for whom our festivals are just another occasion to deride Hinduism.

Before some thug journalist indulging in a fist fight and his screeching banshee of a wife tweet about conserving water during Holi, I would like them to empty out their swimming pools, stop washing their expensive cars with treated water and stop buying bottled water.

Before some #DUTTHURT journalist tells us #KarwaChauth is ‘regressive’, I would like to see her getting all feministy over #TripleTalak.

Before a bunch of random fiberals wax eloquent about how Diwali has become all about bling and materialism, I would like to see them not spend money on their chai lattes and their beer on the tap! Instead, I hope they donate that money to the 'underprivileged'.

Yes, I am a proud Hindu and I have adapted my festivals as per my sensibilities. My Diwali is about spreading light. I light clay lamps during Diwali and burst few crackers. I help social organisations. My kids spend their time making a mud fort from scratch.

My kids play Holi in one bucket of water that ultimately goes to the trees in the garden and use home-made organic colours. My Ganeshchaturthi is about family togetherness. We bring home a locally made clay Murti and do the Visarjan in our family well. On Rakshabandhan, my daughter and sons tie each other rakhi, because it is a thread that reminds them to look out for each other, irrespective of the gender. Every Navratri, I worship that icon of feminism, the Shakti, in the form of my daughter!

So, please, spare me your sanctimonious lectures about fake 'feminism’, spare me your patronising drivel about 'going green'.

Next time someone tries to #FestivalShame you, don't let them. Reclaim our festivals. Let us - the practising Hindus - decide upon how we should reform and revive our traditions.
Thanks.

COMMENTS

Bharat Nayak Here is disagree. We are not at all wise enough to course correct ourselves.

Even if Karwachauth is done by choice. It is regressive.

Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan I am no 'wiser' than all the Inidan women. Yes, I can discuss with them tabling my perspectives. Yes, I can live by my choice.
Mohanakrishnan Gopalakrishnan
Mohanakrishnan Gopalakrishnan This is one of the most profound observations: We are not at all wise enough to course correct ourselves, but we are always wise enough to course correct others.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan But I think the comment was "We are not at ALL wise enough to course correct ourselves." meaning that SOME are. Meaning these most developed few will take on themselves saving the souls of the 'masses' ! I excuse myself from such responsibilities !!
Mohanakrishnan Gopalakrishnan
Mohanakrishnan Gopalakrishnan Aparna, words are presented to you just the same way as the world is presented to you. It is up to you to make up any meaning out of it. :-)
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment