My generation (born in 60's) was so tolerant of Indian indigenous spiritual traditions , all of them educated in English-Medium schools and proper colleges and US and UK "schools" , that whenever I used the word "Mystic" , they laughed it off and said , you mean "Mistake" !
I have never met a more self-hating elite than the Indian one in any country . The Thais , Sri Lankans and even the Bangladeshi are more coherent and self-appreciatory .
2) States should promote a hybrid model of primary in Native language with English as a language; Secondary in English with Native language as language and option of linguistic minority language as third language.
3) History/Geography should focus on local, district, state, region, country, continent, world in that order and with decreasing content. There should be no exams at all for these subjects, instead real time projects should be promoted. For eg.: documenting the food, religious, cultural, music and other traditions of family, clan, community, village/neighborhood etc.
4) Science and Math should be reoriented toward the local. Instead of a million software engineers, we should be producing hydrology engineers to work on water resources, Marine engineers to utilize such a vast coastline, agro engineers to create small machines catering to 2-3 acre sized farms.
5) it should be mandatory to spend summers in villages, with tribals, in slums to sensitise kids about the real India. NSS type programs should be mandatory to expose kids to various social, civil issues. By the time I finished school, I'd worked as OP Dept receptionist in a govt hospital, manned traffic signals, volunteered to manage events, spent a winter vacation refurbishing, cleaning and painting a school building for underprivileged kids apart from entertaining them every evening with culturals.. All this thanks to NSS. It should also be mandatory to teach swimming to kids as that's a great habit for a lifetime. People who swim in rivers, lakes connect better with nature. NCC can be changed to something that teaches first aid, disaster response etc.
6) Discourage all classes outside school and during weekends. If the kid is truly talented, he/she can learn music, sports etc, but right now all kids are forced to learn multiple things. Make it mandatory for kids to play and provide the spaces for the same. Shut down 1-2 streets by rotation in every neighborhood on sundays.