Monday 12 October 2020

That fever, Ayurveda, Dr. Girija


A relentless fever.
A rash. Extreme exhaustion.
A general blood profile shows platelet count at lowest limits.
Over to Dr. Girija.
And as I stayed in a semi daze of fever, husband and daughter boiled the kashayams. Specially made medicines monitored by the doctor. The diet was as important as the medicine. The doctor was tracking from 6am to 11pm.
Husband wanted allopathic tests as a 'backup'. The doctor needed none for her ayurvedic diagnosis and treatment. I always go with the her decision. Husband was left making and cancelling these appointments in between making kashayams and parboiled rice porridge.
A ten day daze. Then fever hit normal. One night s cool sleep.
And the doctor allowed herself to relax. To be a doctor is to carry the world on one's shoulders. To be an ayurvedic doctor is to carry many world's, and is only for the bravest and the best.



Eyes have been red and aching for awhile. I rubbed castor oil over the eyelids and the pain came down. I wished I was in the village. Some mother would pour some breastmilk into my eyes. Sometimes they would pour it into a small vessel and mix with a few drops of castor oil and put in the eye.
Breastmilk is the best remedy for such eye conditions. As per village practice, and also as per ayurveda. My daughter has been treated thus, as also me and my husband. Many times.
But only a village gives the community space where the greatest of gifts are taken and given simply ...

No comments:

Post a Comment