Monday 23 June 2014

Stable family values ... why not ... ?

I am seeing outrage at Harsh Vardhan's statement below. To me it seems a reasonable statement.

I wish to add a word of caution to those of us who have been, and are, against BJP and its policies..

In the process of opposing BJP, if we oppose 'all they say' it is our loss. Because they talk of Hindutva, I will not give up my gods, my temples and my dharmam. I will value Sanskrit. I hope the richness of the language is available to all children in schools - since I have seen the beauty of the scriptures. I have seen the power of yoga and hope it is introduced in schools again. I will define my religious paradigm and my dharmam. I will stand by the temples of the villages and the customs and worship there - and then question BJP on what it means by dharmam ?

I wonder what is wrong is what the health minister says ? I think Eashwaramma and Lakshmamma would agree completely and articulately with what he has said. They (and I) beleive in the integrity of the family. We do not want the culture of unmarried mothers as a framework for society. Within a framework, those who choose to be different, have always had space in our society.

Quoting out Health Minister -
"India’s new health minister, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, has said that he would like to see a change in the way that the government promotes awareness of AIDS and H.I.V., with more emphasis on “promoting the integrity of the sexual relationship between husband and wife,” which he said was “part of our culture.”

“The thrust of the AIDS campaign should not only be on the use of condoms,” he said in a telephone interview last week. “This sends the wrong message that you can have any kind of illicit sexual relationship, but as long as you’re using a condom, it’s fine.”
Unquote

He is not saying 'stop distribution'. He is only saying than emphasis should be on monogamous marriages.

No comments:

Post a Comment