Friday 7 October 2016

Brain Drain (3)

Each time I hear the argument that people had to leave this country because of the limited opportunities here, and greater creative possibilities abroad I gasp at the irrelevence of the comment.
The point is that a country and the poor farmers and others nurtured us, and with our privileges we need to serve now. If the country is corrupt, we need to work at that. If its mired in paperwork we need to work at that. Not pack up bags and leave !

Gayathri Nair I wholly agree with the sentiment. We need our quality citizens to serve on the ground.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan i differ slightly. The quality people i have known are the ones living in villages - usually illiterate. But the 'educated' need to repay their debt to the poor and to their country.
Gayathri Nair
Gayathri Nair I don't believe I suggested that quality was a function of education, not even an inverse one, Aparna. So I agree that we do differ slightly.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan It is inverse. Modern education damages in many ways, and also alienates from the soil. Each and every person it touches, to differing degrees.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan The 'quality citizens' you are saying need to serve on the ground - well, the poor villager is certianly already serving on the ground.
Gayathri Nair
Gayathri Nair I think that with a broader interpretation of my remarks, there would be no reason to disagree. I agree that conventional education is damaging in many ways. However, there are many kinds of education, and there seems to me no reason to be prejudiced against education in principle. The learned too must think it worthy to live and serve here, which may be likelier to happen if society widely endorses the notion that there is great opportunity for self-actualization in service. I agree also that conventional education often fails its higher purpose.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan i am simply saying that the schooled also get alienated from the broader society, and also get more self centred. that is part and parcel of schooling. in a wider sense the farmer, the potter, the thatcher, the housewife all are educators.
Suraj Kumar
Suraj Kumar Gayathri Nair "The learned too must think it worthy to live and serve here, which may be likelier to happen if society widely endorses the notion that there is great opportunity for self-actualization in service.", which, you realize, is not what school teaches, right? It is an entirely material narrative devoid of even mentioning emotions... forget even spirituality ("self actualization", etc., - not gonna happen that way).

I was taught in school that after science's advent, all these old cultures, where we used to go by "bullock cart" or used to rear cattle, are painted as inferior things to do (given we have "superior" ways of doing the same through industrialization). So, how can an educated person EVER look at a person from a village with respect? At best there could be "pity". But not respect.

Then the BIGGEST LIE OF ALL: uneducated people breed like rabbits and that population is a growing problem that can be controlled through education. It turns out even rabbits don't breed like rabbits.
Gayathri Nair
Gayathri Nair Aparna, Suraj, I have not implied that housewives and potters are not educators. I don't equate conventional school to education and do indeed live by that principle. However, I do believe in the value of right education and right learning, and I don't believe that every kind of learning corrupts. I think it was hasty to judge my views of what comprises quality and value in education from my remark that citizens of quality ought to serve this country, which was consistent with your view that their duty is towards this land.
Gayathri Nair
Gayathri Nair Aparna, Suraj, I have not implied that housewives and potters are not educators. I don't equate conventional school to right education and do indeed live by that principle. However, I do believe in the value of right education and right learning, and I don't believe that every kind of learning corrupts. I think it was hasty to judge my views of what comprises quality and value in education from my remark that citizens of quality ought to serve this country, which was consistent with your view that their duty is towards this land.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan yes, the potter's son learning at the potters wheel, and the student of vedas learning at the guruikula, and the farmer's boy learning at the field - the real and sustainable and necessary skills empower. modern education alienates and bestows arrogance.

No comments:

Post a Comment