Friday 7 October 2016

FB Discussions - Brain Drain (2)

When I was young I use to rue 'brain drain', and think that India lost people of deep potential.
Well into middle age I realise that those who quit the shores of this land for greener pastures are the losers. India is too vast and rich and ancient to depend on them who wish to leave. Those who wish to serve, get enriched beyond all dreams. Those who quit get impoverished.

No, I am not talking of money, but of a far greater richness.

Rohit Shetti Agree Aparna Krishnan Thank god for all the 'brain drain' .. else we might have become 'smart' much earlier
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan yes, those educated in modernity, unless they have the sense to question it, can only spread more of it and the consequent damage. I agree totally.
Prakhar Prakash
Prakhar Prakash Therefore the term 'brain drain' is wrong. If we could return the money invested in us by GOI for our education (say 100,000 dollars) in some form to India, it should be enough. India does not need my 'smart' brain :)
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan far far more needs to be 'returned'. because what was given for your education was at the cost of hopes of farmers and others. and trill GoI creates the trust, return via every other channel - ther are many.
 
Kiran Bindu Look at this from the angle of foreign inward remittance n country brand building . India sends the largest number of scientists n engineers to USA . Their positive contribution earns not only money but also respect . Over a period of last 40 years many have become pillars in their community n do charity back home also . Many have come back to set up trusts n lend service post retirement .
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan If Gandhiji had settled abroad and sent remittences and trusts where would we be ? In far smaller ways, because we are far smaller people, the same logic holds.
Kiran Bindu
Kiran Bindu Ur right . Most who go abroad are not 1/1000th of Gandhi so we might as well keep the inward remittance !
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan let the contributions grow more substantial. Let them give 1/2 or 1/4 of their earnings. but primarily let them return and serve. hands and hearts are needed more than money.
 
Rajiv Ramnath Not true for me. If I had stayed in India I would have been completely stifled. Sometimes children have to leave their parents in order to thrive.
Aparna Krishnan Rajiv, I am not talking of parents ! And I am not talking of you of I feeling stifled either. That is irrelevent. We both grew up here and the toil of farmers and labourers fed us. You also studied inIIT which was subsidised by a poor country which diverted its very limited resources there. The subsidy was not just of money which you micght have returned, but of dreams and hopes. That debt imo comes first. Even if we were to feel suffocated. Our sense of suffocation is less of an issue than that Varalu's being unable to feed her three small children in every village.
Rajiv Ramnath
Rajiv Ramnath I was speaking metaphorically :-). Parents == India, children == me. To directly respond to the main point, and speaking just for myself, I didn't lose out by leaving India and coming to the US. I gained a lot, and I don't mean in terms of wealth - but in terms of having the freedom that living in the US gave me to discover and build confidence in myself, and in generally becoming a better person.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Rajiv ! I am simply not interested in you (or me). You (and I) have drawn in excess from a poor country, and our only answerability is to the poor of this country who fed us with their sweat and dreams and hopes. It has an archaic word, still commonly in use in villages. Dharmam.
Rajiv Ramnath
Rajiv Ramnath BTW, "Varalu's being unable to feed her three small children in every village". She has three children in every village? Raam, raam! India bilkul badal gaya ...! :-)
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Just come to my village ya. Many things need a different senseing than is possible with words and ideas. Bring Armaan also. I feel really sorry for Indian kids who grow up abroad and lose their deepest inheritence. I realise we may differ there also :).
Rajiv Ramnath
Rajiv Ramnath BTW, if one (i.e. you) simply stated, "we are answerable to the poor", my answer is YES, ABSOLUTELY! It is a disgrace that there are so many poor in the world, and in India. It is a disgrace that we are essentially trashing the world with our waste. But no blaming IITs and emigres :-)
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Fine ! We are all tarred by the same brush, and we each need to look deeper and act deeper.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Aapke IIT ko haath nahin lagaayenge baba !!
Rajiv Ramnath
Rajiv Ramnath Re: "I feel really sorry for Indian kids who grow up abroad and lose their deepest inheritance". Why not think of Arman and others like him as children of the world? The world is their inheritance - a way heavier inheritance to be responsible for!
Rajiv Ramnath
Rajiv Ramnath And yes, we have to come live in your village.
Aparna Krishnan
Aparna Krishnan Rajiv Ramnath because of my 7th standard hindi textbook poem - 'paida kar is desh jaathi ne tujhko paala posa
kiya hua nij hith kaa usne tujh par badaa bharosaa
urrin hona hi paratham sat kartavya tumhaara

uske baad de sakthe ho vasudha ko, sheesh svajeevan saara'
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment