Saturday 1 October 2016

Dharmam - To feed all

Annasamy Anna told me that there are two kinds of people

- who close the doors when they eat so that the hungry bikshudu (not begger ... there is no such demeaning term in Telugu) cannot be seen

- those who keep the doors wide open so that they can look out for any hungry soul to call in.

I wondered to myself how many times I had been part of the first set, and how many times part of the second.


The theoretical framework provided by dharmam seems to guide many who need a framework


Sasi, Eashwaramma's grandson has given us all a hard time in the village, as we have dealt with his difficult growing years.
He was brought up by his grandmother, after loss of both parents. She used to earn going for agricultural labour. Life has not been easy on him or her.
And his rebellion against life took many forms.
And sometimes my exasperation has bordered on giving up. Though the village has uniformly been kind to the fatherless boy. Sympathising, helping ...
The other day as I was fretting about his new escapade, my daughter said.
That the other day when he came home late from school, his grandmother had kept a plate of food for him as she had gone out on labour. As he sat to eat, tired and hungry, a mendicant came at the door asking for food.
He just got up. And handed over the untouched plate to the man, asked him to eat. And then had a glass of water himself and went out.
... And it is these acts, unseen mostly, unremembered, unheralded, that mark a person.
... And before which greatness other smaller omissions and commissions cease to matter.

There is food for the soul, and food for the body. Both are needed.
In the village when one makes a little curry, and some neighbour at the door asks for some, one gives away half, and eats less. Every family does this spontaneous giving . The hunger is not satisfied that night, but in a deep way, the soul is satisfied.



tMayu ssS2cfaphuuo9ncl,as 2oere016d 
Shared with Public
Public
Today on the way to the beach I saw Sasi give some of his trip money to the beggers. I saw the difference between him and me in our way of giving.
He gives naturally and friendlily. When I give it is always with a part of me shrinking. Because in the begger I see a mirror, and I know why he needs to beg.
Many of my teachers have been my village children.



tMayu ssS2cfaphuuo9ncl,as 2oere016d 
Shared with Public
Public
As I was coming from the bus stop home suddenly Sasi started digging furiously into his pocket to pull out some of the small money his grandmother Eashwaramma had given him for the trip. Then he want across and gave it to an old begger woman.
This unthinking giving is what is the basic of Indian villages. A giving that is so spontaneous that it is forgotten as soon as the act is done.
Komakkambedu Himakiran, Prakash Thangavel and 23 others

No comments:

Post a Comment